The Harris Poll performs a national online poll of 2203 hiring Managers and Human
Resource Department’s Professionals and 3103 workers. This was carried out this year
from August 11 trough September 5, 2014. You won’t believe some of the strangest
set of “poor excuses” ever!
Here are the TOP TEN most unbelievable, but true, excuses for calling in sick:
1. I just put a casserole in the oven. I need to stay home to take it out.”
2. I had to have some plastic surgery; it needed ‘tweaking.’
3. I fell asleep on the toilet, my feet and legs fell asleep and this caused
me to fall and break my ankle.
4. I was at the casino all weekend- still ahead, so won’t be in on Monday.
5. I woke up in a good mood. I didn’t want to ruin it by coming into work.
6. I had a “lucky night” (if you know what that means) and didn’t know
where I was when I woke up.
7. I got stuck in the Blood Pressure machine and can’t get out in time
8. I had a gall stone, I just want to allow it to heal holistically.
9. I caught my uniform on fire when I tried to dry it in the microwave.
10. I “accidentally” got on an airplane and am leaving the country.
When I use Number Five, I call it a Mental Health Day (to myself) but
I use the ‘too sick to come to work’ line.
The HR Department personnel and the Managers mention that
1 in 5 employers can tell a ‘fake’ excuse and have fired employees
for their lying to them.
28% of Call In’s compared to 32% Call In’s last year, 2013.
I was not able to understand this statistic. Sorry!
Do you mind sharing one of your most imaginative excuses?
Hope this list gave you a chuckle or got you smiling today.
They sure were wild and crazy, laughable and lame.
In the ‘good old days’ the regular excuses were:
“I am a little under the weather”
“I am feeling queasy.”