In the midst of many feet of snow, while growing up in
Cleveland, Ohio, my mother and we, three kids, would
have fun, snow days! The best things came out of those
special moments. It was a time of childhood wonder, warm
cookies being baked, sometimes a tent in the dining room,
(sheet draped over the cherry wood table) or sometimes we
would have a ‘summer’ picnic!
Here is the Menu for my desired picnic on this wintry,
breezy day! Come on! Go into your pantries, you may
surprise yourself with what you may come up with! There
may be cans of baked beans, there may be a can of German
potato salad or those vinegary but sweet, three beans
concoction. If you are a ‘health nut’ be aware, this
writer got up and made 100% whole wheat pancakes, took
some confectioner’s sugar, cinnamon and a dab of real
butter, then “pretended” by closing my eyes, that I
was at the Delaware County Fair, eating a huge elephant
PICNIC MENU: COME ONE, COME ALL!
(I will make a purple cabbage slaw, with crumbled
blue cheese, pecans, cranberries and a sweet and
(I love red skinned potatoes and a little bacon thrown
into this creamy mayonnaise based dressing on it.)
Cold, tart Lemonade
(Okay, you may bring a margarita mix, that is also
Spinach Salad with red or purple onions, with a
lot of healthy vegetables, like radishes included
(Caramel or Peanut butter with a good vanilla ice
(My favorites are butter frosted ones. They could be
decorated with bright yellow frosting and have a happy
face of M and M’s on it!)
And Muscle Headed will bring lemon sorbet or gelato!
This is also a wonderful post about unique, quirky and
talented fellow bloggers! I am honored to be nominated
for The Sunshine Award by the blog, “Be Good!” Her Second
Award Nomination of 2014 post is on January 22, 2014.
“Be Good” can be found at:
She has been around my blog for awhile, pressing the ‘like’
button and generally, a great friend! This Sunshine Award
gave me several directions to write about and you may wish
to just skip my morning’s coffee and sugar content-driven
spellbinding list of Sunshine subjects!
Hope these “qualify” for my ten things you wished you knew
1. “Sunshine on my Shoulder” (Makes Me Happy!) by John
2. I love ‘The Sunshine State,’ Florida and their ocean
3. Have a sunny outlook on life!
4. I have a sunny disposition, it really helps when times
are hard. But, you know, my WORST days are probably better
than some people’s BEST days!
5. I don’t like my eggs Sunny Side Up! I like them cooked
on both sides.
6. Bright, brilliant, shining, hot SUNSHINE is so lovely!
7. Welcoming people with a sunny greeting, goes a long way.
8. Lasting friendships bring sunshine on gloomy, cloudy days.
9. “The Sun Will Come Up Tomorrow” or the next day…
(“Annie” musical number may be corny but it makes me smile!)
10. “Sunny Skies…” my oldest daughter called me last Spring
after I had just sung on my cell phone voicemail this song
from “Sesame Street.” I have her hysterical laughter caught
forever on my voicemail, when it asks me to delete it I just
push the #9 and save it. She says a message back, “Mamacita,
you are a silly, silly woman and I love your silly self! Call
me back, when you get a chance!” If you ever come visit,
I will share some of my own Silly Mom messages! She has one
where she says, “Sorry I missed your call, honey, but I was
heading towards the bathroom and dared not turn around to
search for my phone!!”
My girlfriend, Jenny, who lost her mother when she was in
her twenties, says, “Save that forever. Sometimes, I forget
how my Mom’s voice sounded like.”
Here are the Sunshine Award, 2014 nominations!
There are rules about posting the logo/clip art for the
Sunshine Award, listing (at least) ten fellow bloggers to
nominate for their own Sunshine Awards. Add ten things that
are about yourself, sharing with us.
I hope that sometime during this picnic, we have someone
with a stereo to play,
The Beatle’s song, “Here Comes the Sun.”
Check out “Be Good’s” post from 1/22/14 for official rules.
Food for Thought:
1. Celeste writes about plant based diet, so bring
us some healthy brownies or treats, please!
2. The Novice Gardener Gorgeous photos, recipes
and bits of philosophy thrown into the mix.
3. Timi (I am Africa and No, You Can’t
Touch My Hair). Thanks for sharing some lively
and funny thought, with sprinkles of wisdom, too!
4. Luanne, Writer Site: You can read to us
some of your memoir (or others you have
been studying.) You will sit at the head of our
5. Muscle Headed: You can bring the lemon gelato!
Can I put you down for chicken, too?
Photography plus more:
Great contrast in photos with city-scapes and
diverse people featured.
7. Tracy (Wanderlust): Travel to New England and discover
original off-the-beaten path photos, along with her
wonderful perspectives on life!
8. Sherry La Chelle: There’s always a party around
with music, dancing and fun with Sherry along!
9. A man who features philosophy, beauty in nature
10. Glorialana, my goddess friend who featured a lovely
turquoise and gold elephant representing
11. Belinda: Dealing with illness with grace
12. Jonathan shares All!
‘Laughter is the Best Medicine:’
13. beth, who shares her own brand of sunshine with
her kindergartners and other wild, caring stories.
14. Rebecca who has her own dictionary!
Laugh and snort your coffee through your nose
with this gal!
15. Modern Philosopher Maine guy with great
resume, writing all kinds of silly and fun
adventures. Creativity plus!
16. Evil Squirrel has you thinking and
analyzing, enjoying his perspective with
great illustrations (comics by E.S.)
17. Cupid or Cats, so much energy and
You Got Me Thinking…
18. Brenda: Haikus, fairy tales and delightful
19. Fergus and the Druid gives us lonely but hopeful
poetry with personal level of feelings.
20. Bullying Prevention (who has been such a great
guy, managing blogs and speaking out against
injustices! Also, you gave me that Dragon’s
Loyalty Award and one other one, I owe you big
time! Smiles, Robin)
21. Mama Bear Musings, I like her way of weaving
natural scents, aromas and thoughts into her writing.
What are you bringing to share at our Picnic?